Picture Book Idea Month is a good idea for any picture book author, even those who've been around for a while. And here's why:
1. Purposely seeking out new ideas, rather than waiting for inspiration to strike, changes your perspective (thinking outside the box and all that).
2. Brainstorming helps get creative juices flowing.
3. Filling a notebook (or a few pages of one) with ideas helps you feel productive, especially during writing slumps.
4. PiBoIdMo gives you an excuse to read more picture books.
5. Lists are fun!
6. Old PiBoIdMo lists can be excellent sources for renewed inspiration (don't throw them out!).
7. It will help you let go of the need to be perfect. Every idea counts, no matter how flawed or incomplete it is!
8. You might stumble across that gem of an idea that will lead to a book deal.
9. Networking with lots of other creative, supportive children's book authors.
10. The chance to win prizes! Really, what more reason do you need than that?
I'll be participating in PiBoIdMo again this year. How about you?