One of the best things about being a children's author is having the chance to share my love of reading and writing with kids! During my visits to schools, I read one of my books and do a presentation or workshop on the following topics:
- Author's Toolbox - The "tools" an author uses to succeed. I bring a real toolbox and even wear a hard hat! A "ninja" version of this presentation is also an option.
- Building a Story - My writing process from idea to polished manuscript. This is a powerpoint presentation. I include a printable worksheet that students can use to try my process on a writing project of their own. This option works best as an in person writing workshop.
- Fracturing a Fairy Tale - I will read and discuss one of my fractured fairy tales, talk about my process for generating fractured fairy tale ideas, then brainstorm with students to come up with a new story idea.
- Rhythm and Rhyme - For older students, a workshop on rhythm and rhyme in storytelling. For younger kids, rhythm and rhyme games.
- From Idea to Published Book: A Story's Journey - The writing and publishing process. The students will see early drafts, revision notes, F&Gs, and more.
- Writing is Rewriting - A workshop on the importance of editing and revising. I will show early drafts of published stories, then work with students to "polish" a poem or paragraph.
- We can also create A Custom Program based on your students' needs!
I work to make each of my presentations as engaging and interactive as possible whether meeting with large groups or small, so most of these options can be adapted for a variety of ages and group sizes.
I am available for school visits in the Omaha, Ne area and surrounding communities.